MTSU invites new and returning students, their families, and the university's faculty and staff to attend the annual Week of Welcome.
All festivities are free and will begin Friday, Aug. 23, and will conclude Thursday, Sept. 5.
“It’s a great way to say ‘welcome home’ to the new incoming class, and returning students always look forward to the week’s events because, for many, it will be the first time they will reunite with their friends and classmates since May," said Mark Murphy, coordinator for New Student and Family Programs. “Week of Welcome is something that everyone looks forward to year after year.”
Attendees can expect complementary meals, an outdoor movie, a stand-up comedy performance, games and vendor fairs featuring local Murfreesboro businesses. They will also have many opportunities to learn about the university and ways to become more involved including: departmental, volunteer and student organization fairs.
Highlights of the event are a picnic in the President's courtyard, the first football game of the season and a fight song competition.
A line-up of each day's events:
Friday, Aug. 23
• We-Haul (all-day) Members from more than 250 MTSU student organizations will be available to assist new students moving into dorms.
• Dinner at the Student Union Commons, 6:30 p.m. Free for students and their families.
• Outdoor Movie, “The Avengers,” 8 p.m., Student Union Commons
Saturday, Aug. 24
• We-Haul (all day)
• Information Booths, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Attendants at pop-up tents stationed around campus will be available to assist with questions or give directions.
• Dinner and Courtyard Carnival, 6 p.m., Student Union Commons. Free for students and their families, the carnival will also feature games and inflatables.
Sunday, Aug. 25
• University Convocation with speaker Dwayne Betts, 2 p.m., Murphy Center. Convocation officially marks the beginning of a new academic year. This year's keynote speaker, Dwayne Betts, is the author of the MTSU summer reading book, “A Question of Freedom.”
• President's Picnic following Convocation, Walnut Grove. This is a free event for all who attend Convocation.
Tuesday, Aug. 27
• Meet Murfreesboro, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Student Union Commons. Local businesses, restaurants, doctors' offices and more will be sharing information about services and products. Students can expect to receive coupons, discounts and free samples from vendors.
• Fight Song Competition, 7 p.m., Murphy Center
Wednesday, Aug. 28
• Meet Murfreesboro, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Student Union Commons
• Comedian Chris Hardwick, 8 p.m., Murphy Center. Free stand-up comedy performance for all MTSU students and families.
Thursday, Aug. 29
• MTSU Department Fair, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., Student Union Commons. Departments from all over campus will come together in one centralized location to share information about what they do and the resources they provide for students.
• Football Season Opener — MTSU vs. Western Carolina, 6:30 p.m., Floyd Stadium
Tuesday, Sept. 3
• Volunteer Fair, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Student Union Commons. Local nonprofit organizations will come to campus to share ways for students to become involved in community service opportunities.
Wednesday, Sept. 4
• Student Organization Fair, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Student Union Commons. MTSU has over 250 student organizations to choose from.
Thursday, Sept. 5
• Crash the Commons, 6 to 11:30 p.m., Student Union Commons