MURFREESBORO — As the holidays approach, MTSU sports fans have a new opportunity to combine competitiveness with compassion.
It’s the annual Conference USA Food Drive Challenge, which will run from Saturday, Nov. 7, through Saturday, Nov. 14. Fans are being asked to bring nonperishable food items to MTSU football, basketball and volleyball games. Last year, MTSU finished third in the league in the amount of food donated.
“Studies have shown that when students are hungry and malnourished, they underperform in the classroom environment,” said Todd Wyant, director of the Student-Athlete Enhancement Center. “We want our students to perform to the best of their ability, and organizations such as the food pantry can help them to do just that.”
Food collected by the Middle Tennessee Student-Athletic Advisory Committee will be donated to the MTSU Student Food Pantry and Greenhouse Ministries.
Suggested donations include canned fruit and vegetables; canned, boxed and bottled juices; bottled water; soups; granola bars; oatmeal; crackers; canned tuna; raisins; nuts; rice; pudding; and popcorn.
Those unable to attend the games can drop off their contributions at the Student-Athlete Enhancement Center adjacent to the ticket office at the south end of Floyd Stadium. Donations also will be accepted at the Student Food Pantry in the Student Services and Admissions Center.
Collection sites will be set up at the following locations:
- MTSU vs. Marshall, football, 2:30 p.m., Saturday, Nov. 7, Floyd Stadium, tables at gates 1, 3 and 4;
- MTSU vs. Martin Methodist, women’s basketball, 6:30 p.m., Monday, Nov. 9, Murphy Center, tables on the north and south sides of the venue;
- MTSU vs. Faulkner, men’s basketball, 6:30 p.m., Thursday, Nov. 12, Murphy Center, tables on the north and south sides of the venue;
- MTSU vs. Virginia, women’s basketball, 6:30 p.m., Friday, Nov. 13, Murphy Center, tables on the north and south sides of the venue;
- MTSU vs. Marshall, women’s volleyball, 6 p.m., Saturday, Nov. 14, Alumni Memorial Gym, table at the west entrance under the scoreboard.
For more information, contact Becca Seul, academic adviser and Student Food Pantry coordinator, at 615-494-8910 or firstname.lastname@example.org, or Wyant at 615-898-5610 or email@example.com.