Topics include accounting, auditing, taxation and ethics
MURFREESBORO — The 26th annual Accounting Alumni Appreciation Day at Middle Tennessee State University will be held from 7:30 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. Thursday, April 27, in the State Farm Lecture Hall of the Business and Aerospace Building.
The event is targeted to those interested in accounting, taxation and computer training. The fee is $125 for MTSU alumni and $175 for all others. Net proceeds will go to accounting scholarships. Lunch will be provided at the Student Union Building.
Participants will earn eight hours of CPE credit and have the opportunity to visit with alumni and former professors as well as see how the campus is changing.
Among the morning session speakers are John Wermert, MTSU associate professor and director of the Masters of Accounting Program, who will present “Audit Update.” He will be followed by Jones College Dean David Urban, who will discuss the college’s Dale Carnegie® Initiative. The morning session wraps up with MTSU professor Tim Koski’s presentation on “Federal Tax Update.”
Breakout sessions and leaders will include:
• “Workplace Violence,” MTSU business law instructor Susan Bradley
• “Tennessee-Specific Ethics,” Wendy Garvin, executive director of the Tennessee State Board Of Accountancy
• “The End of Accounting?”, Jeannie Harrington, MTSU associate professor and chair of the Department of Accounting
• “Balanced Scorecard,” MTSU professor Stephen Salter
• “FASB Update,” MTSU professor Paula Thomas
• “Excel Tips and Tricks,” MTSU assistant professor Kelly Williams
• “PC-Fraud,” Jim Wilson, CPA, CFE, with Wilson and Wilson PC
There will be two late afternoon general sessions. MTSU associate professor Stan Clark will present “Earnings Management.” The final session will be Steve Ruckart, president of RAI Advisors, presenting “Strategies & Best Practices for Integrating Financial Planning into an Accounting Practice.”
Seating is limited, so participants should register early. To do so, visit http://www.mtsu.edu/accounting and click on the Alumni tab. For more information, call the MTSU Department of Accounting at 615-898-5306.