FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Dec. 5, 2008
CONTACT: Caneta Hankins, 615-898-2947
STATE PROGRAM RECOGNIZES TROUSDALE COUNTY FARM FOR CONTRIBUTIONS
Holder Farm Becomes County’s 12th Designated Tennessee Century Farm
(MURFREESBORO)—The Holder Farm in Trousdale County has been designated as a Tennessee Century Farm, reported Caneta S. Hankins, director of the Century Farms program at the Center for Historic Preservation, which is located on the MTSU campus.
On the Macon-Trousdale County line is the Holder Farm. In 1906, Lucy Anne (Mrs. John) Akers, a widow with four children, moved from Kentucky to a farm of 112 acres north of Hartsville to be close to her brothers who already lived in the Goose Creek area. Lucy and her children, Dewitt, Fell, John Jr. and Edna, raised sheep, hogs, cattle and tobacco.
Edna Akers Holder and husband George acquired the farm in 1910. Their children were George A., Ras H. and Sam. The family reported that during this time the home and farm was the site of community picnics as well as family reunions for the Celsor and Holder families. In addition, the farm was the site of agricultural and equipment manufactures field days. The land supported cattle, tobacco and hay primarily.
In 1973, George G. Holder passed away and bequeathed the land to his three sons who subsequently divided the farm. Ras H. Holder obtained 300 acres, including the original 112-acre tract.
Today, the farm is owned by Charla N. Holder, the widow of Ras, and their son, Stanley Holder, who raises hay, cattle and tobacco. A farmhouse, a log washhouse, a large feed barn and an outhouse constructed by the Works Progress Administration in 1939 illustrate the development of this farm throughout the twentieth century.
The Holder Farm is the 12th Century Farm to be certified in Trousdale County, Hankins said.
About the Century Farms Program
The Century Farm Program recognizes the contributions of Tennessee residents who have continuously owned, and kept in production, family land for at least 100 years. Since 1984, the CHP at MTSU has been a leader in the important work of
documenting Tennessee’s agricultural heritage and history through the Tennessee Century Farm Program, and continues to administer this program.
The Tennessee Department of Agriculture began the Tennessee Century Farm Program in 1976 as part of the nation’s bicentennial. Today, the TDA provides a metal outdoor sign denoting either 100, 150 or 200 years of “continuous agricultural production” to Century Farm families.
To be considered for eligibility, a farm must be owned by the same family for at least 100 years; must produce $1,000 revenue annually; must have at least 10 acres of the original farm; and one owner must be a resident of Tennessee.
“The Century Farmers represent all the farm families of Tennessee,” Hankins said, “and their contributions to the economy, and to the social, cultural and agrarian vitality of the state, both past and present, is immeasurable. Each farm is a Tennessee treasure.”
For more information about the Century Farms Program, please visit its Web site at http://histpres.mtsu.edu/histpres. The Center for Historic Preservation also may be contacted via mail at Box 80, MTSU, Murfreesboro, Tenn., 37132, or by telephone at 615-898-2947.
**ATTENTION, MEDIA: To interview the farm’s owners or request jpegs of the farm, please contact the CHP directly at 615-898-2947.